I am about to say a bad word.
I know. I don’t like that word either.
In a perfect world we could eat whatever we want with no consequence. We could eat all the delicious food that comes with the holidays with no guilt, and we would never have to struggle with our jeans because weight gain would be non-existent! But the world isn’t perfect, and I have the jeans to prove it! As nice as it would be to blame my dryer for shrinking them, the hard fact of the matter is that I enjoyed maybe a Christmas cookie or two more than I should have in the past month! I don’t think I’m the only person dealing with this, so it is really no surprise that we tend to use our New Year’s Resolutions for a healthy kick start after we’ve over-indulged throughout the holidays.
I don’t know if you’re like me, but I tend to like to eat, and I really resent the word “diet”. I think that is because a lot of times when we diet, we deny ourselves, and that ultimately ends up in binge eating. Right?
Truth is, we don’t really have to deny ourselves. By eating healthier, weight can be lost, and overall well-being attained! These jerk chicken pizzas are so flavorful and spicy, and filled with everything healthy, that you can’t help but walk away feeling satisfied! Satisfied, because you don’t feel deprived…and…satisfied, because you just did something healthy for yourself!
This is a simple and delicious meal that can be thrown together in about 30 minutes! Believe it or not, one chicken breast is all you need for two pizzas! Sliced in half, and pounded thin, and then dipped into the spicy jerk seasoning, the chicken only takes a few minutes to cook on each side! Store bought flatbreads are topped with the chicken, spring greens, corn, black beans, tomatoes, avocados, and a sprinkling of queso fresco to make a delicious personal pizza.
It just doesn’t get any easier, and it doesn’t get any healthier!
So maybe the world is a little perfect after all, because we get to have our pizza and eat it too!
Happy New Year, my friends! My wish for you is good health, peace, and happiness for 2016.
With Much Love,
Prudy Blank + The Deco and Bloom Team
- 2 Flatbreads
- 2 tbsp low fat vegetable or chive cream cheese
- 2 cups spring mix
- Jerk Chicken (recipe below)
- ½ cup corn
- ½ cup black beans
- 10 cherry tomatoes, sliced in half
- 1 avocado, pitted and cubed, tossed with 1 tbsp lime juice
- 2 scallions, sliced
- ¼ cup pickled red onion (recipe below)
- ¼ cup Queso Fresco cheese
- 2 tbsp Jerk Mayo (recipe below)
- Cilantro for garnish
- Two slices of lime for garnish
- 1 boneless chicken breast, sliced lengthwise, and pounded thin
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp cayenne
- 2 tsp onion powder
- 1 tbsp parsley
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp allspice
- ½ tsp black pepper
- ½ tsp crushed red pepper
- ¼ tsp nutmeg
- ¼ tsp cinnamon
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup water
- ½ cup cider vinegar
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tbsp granulated sugar
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp light mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp light sour cream
- 1 tsp jerk seasoning mix
- Spread one tablespoon of cream cheese over the top of each flatbread.
- Top the cream cheese with one cup of spring mix on each flatbread.
- Add the chicken on top of the spring mix.
- Sprinkle ¼ cup corn and ¼ cup black beans over the chicken.
- Top each pizza with sliced cherry tomatoes.
- Each flatbread gets one half of the cubed avocado.
- Sprinkle each pizza with scallions.
- Top with pickled onions (portion is your choice, and pickled onions are optional!)
- Top each with half of the Queso Fresco, and drizzle one tablespoon of the jerk mayo over each pizza.
- Garnish with cilantro and lime slices.
- Slice the chicken breast lengthwise, and pound thin.
- On a plate, combine the garlic powder, cayenne, onion powder, parsley, brown sugar, salt, allspice, black pepper, crushed red pepper, nutmeg, and cinnamon. (Reserve 1 tsp seasoning mix for mayo)
- Dip both sides of the chicken into the seasoning mix, until generously coated.
- Heat the olive oil in a medium sauté pan, and add the chicken.
- Cook for about four minutes on each side or until each side is blackened, and the chicken is fully cooked.
- Remove from heat, cover, and let rest for about five minutes.
- Slice thinly on a diagonal, and place on top of the spring mix on the pizza.
- Combine all of the ingredients in a pint size mason jar.
- Let sit for at least one hour.
- Combine the mayonnaise and seasoning mix.
- Let sit for about 10 minutes or until ready to drizzle over pizza.
- Pickled Onion Recipe from Bon Appetit Link: http://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/quick-pickled-onions
- The pickled onion recipe will make way more than you need for the pizzas. It can be stored in the refrigerator for up to two weeks!