Feel Free to Pin & Share: Kimberly Cole + The Deco & Bloom Team

Feel Free to Pin & Share: Kimberly Cole + The Deco & Bloom Team

Live plants are a fantastic way of adding a pop of life and color to a house, and they can make your yard really stand out with a little landscaping, but these same plants that add so much joy to our homes can also be a source of danger. Many common, and popular forms of vegetation can cause illness in children, pets, and even adults if they don’t recognize the dangers these grim greens hold. Let’s stay safe, Deco & Bloom style, with Plants That Could Make Your Family Sick.

 

Poinsettias – While they are a festive and traditional holiday plant, Poinsettias contain a mild toxin that, if ingested, can cause humans to vomit or feel nausea, and can cause similar symptoms in cats and dogs. Exactly how toxic the poinsettia is has been the subject of fierce debate over the years, and the unpleasant taste makes it unlikely that your children or pets will swallow the leaves or flowers, but it is still best to take precautions to avoid family illness.

 

Lily of the Valley – This vine, with it’s bulbous flowers and sweet scent, is a popular choice for growing in and around homes in the United States but with it’s recent use in the AMC series “Breaking Bad”, many people have begun to wonder just how dangerous the plant really is. The smell it produces makes it highly appealing to both pets and children, but ingestion of any part of the plant can cause sever medical complications that may require hospitalization. If you plan on raising this popular plant, you will want to ensure that it is out of reach of family members and pets at risk of ingesting it.

 

Aloe – Aloe is an incredibly popular succulent, grown both for looks, and for it’s medicinal properties. Unfortunately, if you have furry friends in your home, these delightful bits of greenery can cause them serious intestinal troubles. There is a yellow substance produced by the plant called Aloin that can cause irritation to the skin, and indigestion tract issues in pets, as well as humans, if eaten. Aloe should be kept out of reach of dogs and cats if possible as they are at the highest risk of accidental consumption of the leaves.

 

Do you know of any other common, poisonous household plants? Let us know in the comments for a chance to win our monthly drawing.